Thursday, March 1, 2012

Apocalyptic Worlds


I'm in zombie mode right now.. or end of the world mode... Yeah that sounds a little weird, even to me, but I've surrounded myself with it lately, and not on purpose. I read Article 5 (check out my review here), while simultaneously reading Hollowland, plus I can't get enough of The Walking Dead on AMC. I don't know if it's because it's 2012, "the year of doooooom! mwahahahaha,"  or if it's just because the idea of the world as we know it coming to end is starting to come to the forefront of everyone's mind ~ especially those in entertainment ~ but apocalyptic shows and dystopian novels are all the rave. Things are changing, there's no denying that. Prices are skyrocketing making are stagnant paychecks smaller and smaller every couple of weeks. I don't believe in zombies, but I think a change in the way we live is definitely possible. I'm not all about the 'doomsday' obsessed cults that are out there now, picketing about the end of life as we know it (instead of getting some smarts to prepare for what they so kindly predict for all of us), but I do think it's important we learn to depend on ourselves... Who knows what the heck could happen?

(Doesn't really do 'the look' justice ~ but if you've seen it, you get it)
Anyway, what I really wanted to write about revolves around episode 9 of The Walking Dead ~ "Triggerfinger." They are already gearing up for episode 11 (I think.. I don't know, I have a Roku minus cable), so this is nothing new to those who are fanatics about the show. I wanted to write about Rick and what's happening to him. Shane's already fallen down the looney tree and hit every branch on the way down, but Rick ~ solid, big-hearted, hold-on-to-your-humanity-Rick ~ is getting closer and closer to that point. Or is he? I'm wondering if he is inching closer to the truth of human nature in a world that requires ruthlessness or if he is getting further away from it. He shot the living without even blinking, something I never expected from him...and the look on his face right before the credits started rolling told me something significant had morphed inside him...

So about this thing we call 'human nature...'  what is it? Is it compassion or is it survival? Is it a little bit of both?

I'm gunna think on it and write my answer a bit later, but I want to know...

What do you think?

~ Keely ~

4 comments:

  1. Its in human nature to survive, from the beginning of time its been survival. We hunted, farmed, and made homes to survive. The will to survive is in all of us, Rick was faced with an life or death situation and he didn't hesitate to survive because he has a family, wife and child that he has to protect. So he made his decision to survive for his family, his compassion did not change, its just that some people you can reason with and some you can't. As he is an officer, I imagine he knows when things are going south and there tone and their demeanor changed as the conversation was going. So he killed them before he was killed, its not a lack of compassion to want to survive for your family, it is honorable and should be commended for it. Back to compassion, as we became a society we have learned to show compassion to others but it is not in our nature. Its an act of kindness that not everybody has. If we all had compassion, our society wouldn't be as screwed up as it is today. Compassion is not human nature but is a blessing if you chose to have it, use it and teach it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I don't think Rick has lost his compassion either.. But I do think he's changing the focus of that compassion... he killed those two guys without blinking, but he wouldn't leave a boy of the same group behind... he's discovering what it'll take to survive but he hasn't grown completely cold...

      I agree that it is in human nature to survive.. people will do what they have to, and I'm sure we'd all be surprised at the lengths we might go to ensure our lives... Shane, I think, represents one extreme ~ he either shuts everything off or blows it out of proportion because of fear, anger, adrenaline, etc. Where does that leave Rick? Somewhere in the middle I guess, because he will do what it takes to survive, but he holds on to his heart...

      Delete
  2. I agree about Shane but I don't think Rick is in the middle. Rick and Shane represent each side of what might happen to man in an post apocalyptic world. Rick tries to save everyone, leaves no man behind, represents all the good human qualities we all wish to have, family man with honor and integrity. Shane could careless about others, could watch the world burn as long as her survives. Shane thinks Rick is weak, a liability but Rick is holding on to what is left of humanity, because if he doesn't he would be just like the zombies, mindless beasts looking for their next meal to survive. Either way, these two can not exist together and I think Rick will have to make a decision for the good of the group to let Shane go. Rick will be tested on his beliefs at that time and ultimately we will see if he is just like Shane or if he can keep his humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to wait to reply until I watched episode 10, and my mind has flipped a switch.. Shane justified his actions as necessary and even normal in the kind of world they live in now.. he thought Rick was too soft and would get everyone killed... In the end, Rick saves his life (and whoops his ass), giving Shane a little bit to ponder.. Shane was really turning into no better than the Walkers everyone was so afraid of.. Rick was afraid of turning into that, and although he remains the man of integrity, I still think he's changed.. He doesn't see it as black and white anymore, right and wrong.. there are now shades of gray and lines (of his own making) that he is now willing to cross to keep his family safe.. The difference is, he won't get lost in it...

      Delete